Grief is different for everyone. If you’ve experienced loss, it’s important to give yourself time to heal mentally and physically.
You may be experiencing a range of emotions and noticing a negative impact on your body. For example, grief can affect your sleep, appetite and behaviour towards others. It’s important to acknowledge and accept whatever you’re feeling and reach out for help if you need it. You're part of our lifelong community: we're here for you and we can help you find your path to recovery.
- Take some time to look after yourself – whether that’s having a long bath with music, eating chocolate in front of your favourite film or doing something creative.
- Express your grief in an artistic way. This could be through painting, drawing, songwriting or poetry – whatever you feel comfortable with.
- Keep your body physically fit as our minds and bodies are so closely connected.
- Stay connected with family and friends.
- Talk about how you're feeling to people you trust. Alternatively, it's sometimes helpful to talk to someone outside your immediate circle of family and friends. We're here to listen. Get in touch now.
One person who wants to share her experience with us is Anthonia. After her Dad passed away, Anthonia wanted to confide in someone who wasn’t part of her family circle:
“I didn’t even really know what type of support I wanted but I know that first phone call changed everything. It felt like the person on the phone truly cared. They made me feel like I wasn’t alone and that was so important to me.”
We were there for Anthonia when she needed us most and we’re here for you.
In addition to emotional support, we may be able to offer financial help. This could be help with additional travel costs if you're struggling to pay your normal bills; help with funeral costs; or support if your income has reduced because you've lost someone from your household.
So, if this sounds like you and you need help now, please complete our online application form or call 0800 056 2424 (option 2) to discuss with a member of our Help, Advice and Services team.